Using SEO for beginners
If you have ever looked at your spam que, you have probably seen messages telling you, your missing out on SEO. Have you ever wondered, what SEO is, and if you need it? Well here’s the basics, to help you begin to use SEO effectively. Also this article is only about actions you can take, no recommendations for add-ons.
First what is SEO?
1. Stealthy Extraterrestrial Organism.
2. Sexy Exotic Oregonian
3. Slowly Evolving Orangutan
4. Search Engine Optimization
If you choose number one as your answer, put down the remote and step away from the television, you have been watching too much sci-fi. Number two falls in the same category as Sasquatch or the Lock Ness monster, many rumors, however no verifiable reports. If you choose number three, to see if your right, you will have to be a Buddhist, as it will take many lifetimes to find out. If you choose number four, which search engine did you use?
One of the most common definitions you will hear is that SEO is a way to increase traffic to your site or webpage. Well the end result of following SEO, is increased traffic, this isn’t the best way to describe it. Think of SEO as gps for web browsers. It is a method of announcing, what you seek is located here, come and look. This is not advertising your site, rather making it easier for the guidebooks to tell readers what they can expect when they visit your site. Having a visitor show up looking for Red Bull, only to find out your site is about red tide, won’t make them bookmark it for another visit, or recommend it to a friend. SEO has evolved to where it is now a field where certification has become important, just as most other computer specialties. However without having a certificate, that says you can predict the future without a crystal ball or dart board, there are a few things you can do, as a content creator, to take advantage of SEO.
The major search engines have very complicated algorithmic formula that are used by the web crawlers used to find information for search results. However they are also designed to grade these findings. So there are a few key principles you need to follow, in order to be closer to the top of result listings. This doesn’t put you ahead of paid for promotion, but it will get you closer to the top of the natural results. So what are these tips, well here are a few.
1. Firstly write a quality article, using accurate information. If your writing on SEO, don’t delve into a critique of your favorite mmporpg. Instead stay on topic, provide useful information, and you will find webmasters and readers linking back to your articles.
2. Links to your blog are not all the same. Listing you in a blogroll, well increasing your exposure is not consider a natural or relevant link to the web crawler. A link in an article about the same topic, however is considered a natural link, and will cause the web crawler to check your page. The more important the site that links to you, the higher the weighting the crawler gives to checking your site.
3. When naming your article, think about how people will search for the topic. If you notice I named this post, “Using SEO for beginners”. I didn’t title it, how to maximize your search engine ratings using the techniques of search engine optimization. After all when you want to learn how to use something, most of us type in Use or Using (topic), and if we are absolutely befuddled might include beginners in our search. So if you search using SEO, this article matches your search, where as the other one I mentioned would get a lower rating. This is true even if both articles have identical content.
4. Web crawlers love text, they think flash, ajax, video and all those colors are static or background noise. Yes people love to hear see the bells and whistles, the exploding fireworks, etc. The search engine wants text it can understand. Here is a little tip, have one link to another page on your own blog, to drive internal traffic. However make sure it has some connection to what you are writing about, as a recipe for Blackened Catfish Surprise might not be the best link on you post about eating vegan.
5. I can hear all the photographers, videographers and blingmasters crying foul over the previous guideline. Have no fear, you can make the site, the most multimedia loaded extravaganza, and still use SEO. Make a text description for what each box contains, and include it on your page, or as a written description below the multimedia. Another way which is a bit more complex, is to make a text page for each of your web pages, and include it in your site map.
For another look at growing your WordPress readership, check out; https://keiththegreen.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/growing-your-readership-the-wordpress-way/
Now that you have a basic understanding of SEO, here are a few links to help you out:
Finally if you find this helpful, please either repost or link to this article, as this would reach more people.