The week between Christmas and New Years
With Monday a holiday here as Christmas fell on Saturday, and New Years Eve is this coming Friday, it is not a week to get much done. So its time to do some reading. I have a copy of the Enlightenment Sutra with Annotations. The version I have was translated from Chinese to English, by Dr. Tetching Liao.This Sutra was the last one dedicated to laypersons by the Buddha. It does not have the “Thus I have heard” or “All were happy nad retired with pleasure” that earlier Sutras have. There is a concise description of what Theravada and Mahayana agree on, which I will quote as follows here:
“1. The body is impure.
2. Sensation and feeling are impure.
3. the mind is impermanent.
4. things as being dependant and without a nature of their own.
5. Ever rotating cycle of birth and death.
6. The Law of Cause and effect.
7. Nirvana, the ultimate state of happiness.”